MAGNA Media Trials, (MAGNA’s industry-leading proprietary research offering) in collaboration with Snap Inc., today announced a new study, The Augmented Reality Playbook: Understanding the Role of AR in the Purchase Journey. The research was aimed at uncovering the true capabilities of augmented reality ads by better understanding their role in the consumer purchase journey to help maximise outcomes for clients.
Research was conducted across multiple brands representing different verticals, including The LEGO Group, in five different markets including Australia, US, Canada, Saudi Arabia, and France.
Says Hannah Rook, head of Insights, Magna Australia: “The research clearly demonstrates the power of AR to offer consumers a personalised experience they have the luxury of controlling. The fact consumers noted utility and usefulness alongside an increase in purchase intent has confirmed ARs ability to help drive decision making in the purchase journey.”
Various types of Snapchat AR lenses were tested to explore the potential of AR included Gamified Entertainment Lenses, Front Facing Lenses, Interactive Entertainment Lenses, Shoppable AR Lenses and World Facing Lenses.
Key findings included:
– When AR was added to the mix it was found that the consumer was more likely to progress in the purchase journey with higher rates of purchase intent (+6%)
– AR ads were found not only to deliver on brand metrics but were noted by consumers to provide increased levels of utility helping inform their decision making or driving further desire to purchase
– 5% of consumers found AR more informative than pre-roll video, sighting the “usefulness” of AR (+6%) ultimately driving deeper feelings of brand connection (+14%)
– AR was also found to perform best when placed in the middle of the purchase journey
– When the AR ad was placed in the middle, search intent was significantly higher (+11%) versus when AR was not placed in the middle. Sequencing of AR in the media mix is critical to maximise success.
Says Gareth Leeding, APAC head of creative strategy, Snap Inc.: “We believe AR is the new standard in retail. It enables potential customers to go from ‘this looks good’ to ‘this looks good on me’. Now, we’re seeing first-hand the value AR brings to the marketing mix, and specifically how Snapchat can contribute to full funnel success.
“AR provides an immersive experience for our advertisers and these findings further demonstrate that AR offers a differentiated opportunity for brands to reach the right audiences, when it matters most, all while driving meaningful business for our customers.”