In the lead-up to the start of the 20s Campaign Brief nominates the campaigns that contributed to Australia being consistently ranked in the top 5 most awarded countries at global award shows throughout the decade.
In 2011 Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne scooped the Cannes PR Lions Grand Prix for its National Australia ‘Break Up’ campaign, which went on to win major awards around the world.
NAB launched the cheeky campaign in February of that year, which revolved around a public break-up with the other major banks – ANZ, Commonwealth Bank and Westpac.
The large-scale multi-platform campaign launched with a publicity and social media programme followed with a Valentine’s Day stunt.
Sixty couples publicly broke up in restaurants, bars, and public spaces across Australia in the evening of February 14th. The content was filmed and seeded online before the ATL campaign launched today, 15th February with full-scale ‘break-up’ activity.
The campaign also extended to press, Adshel, large format outdoor, radio, mobile billboards, street teams, street chalking, helicopter banners and video. Consumers were directed to a website where they could interact with the campaign and keep up to date with the latest activity as it broke.
The campaign launched on the back of 20 months of significant action where NAB had driven competition in the marketplace via a series of customer-focused initiatives. Some of these actions included:
* Offering CBA and Westpac customers help in switching their mortgages to NAB’s lower standard variable rate by paying the $700 mortgage early exit fee charged by CBA and Westpac when customers switch their mortgage to NAB
* Abolished monthly Account Service fees on the most popular personal transaction accounts
* Maintained the lowest standard variable mortgage rate of the major banks for the previous 20 months
* Alliance with RediATM to double the ATMs network for customers
* Changed credit card payment hierarchy, resulting in lower interest payments for customers
* $1000 buffer for all overdrawn (reference) fees to help businesses with cash flow.
Agency: Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne
Creative Chairman: James McGrath
Executive Creative Director: Ant Keogh
Executive Planning Director: Paul Rees-Jones
Creative Director (Copywriters): Rohan Lancaster, Julian Schreiber
Creative Director (Art Directors): Darren Pitt, Tom Martin
Group Account Director: Simon Lamplough
Account Director: Kelly Richardson
Account Manager: Kate McCarthy
Executive Producer: Sonia von Bibra
Production Company: Will O_Rourke
Media: Zenith Optimedia
PR: Bang PR